Friday, July 17, 2015

San Diego Finale

We enjoyed La Jolla so much yesterday, we decided to go back today. We hoped to beat the traffic by getting an early start, but even at 10:15 the Parkway (Speed Limit 45- Hah!) was bumper to bumper. Eventually we got into the town and found a parking space near the point we were at yesterday, but on the side away from the sea lions, who can make quite an odor.

We walked down the path and over the rocks and set up on the small sand beach (It was near high tide.) Sam got right into the water and jumped in the waves. The surf was much stronger here. Sarah took a little longer to "warm up" to the water (about 64 degrees on this side of the peninsula) but played with Sam after a while. Sam buried his feet in the sand, and then Sarah buried all of him.




Amy and Sarah walked down the beach to a cave area. (Way in the back ot the picture)
I made a short movie of the crashing surf there a little later. https://youtu.be/ZMzexZs_L98




We climbed up on some rocks
and displaced a seagull to take some pictures before we left.

After lunch we drove to the highest point in La Jolla, Soledad Park, and its huge cross. We could see well up the coast, and down the shore past San Diego to Mexico from there.
















Next we returned to Loma Point and checked out he Cabrillo National monument, named for the first Spanish explorer to see California in the late 1500s. He was a soldier under Cortez in Mexico and got the assignment to explore further north in a 100 foot ship with 40 soldiers, slaves and priests. Not as much fun as our vacation, I'd guess.






The views from there are also spectacular, with bird's eye views of all of San Diego as well as Tijuana and beyond. Amy and Sarah also trekked up to a light house on top of the hill.























We took an alternate route home, through Mission Bay and Mission Beach, and the marina,
which are close to the city, protected from the ocean, warm, and strangely not very busy on Friday afternoon.

We finished the day with some great sushi in the North Park neighborhood, which is crowded with bars and trendy restaurants.

We went to Sensei Sushi. Sarah had a seaweed salad she loved,
and Sam had miso soup, and shared salmon, eel, red snapper and tuna sushi with me.


He loved it!

 Both kids have seen a lot of new things in San Diego, and we've all had a great and educational time. It will be hard to leave, and we're already thinking about a return trip in a few years.

Tomorrow we head for the mountains and Lake Arrowhead. It will be quieter and more relaxing, but also all new for us.

New kayaking pictures have been added to yesterday's post (La Jolla...). Don't miss my helmet and life vest fashions.

Please respond!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having fun. Wonderful shots of the kids and the water. 64 degrees. Ouch! You'll all be "California Dreamin" when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 comment? Your blog got only ONE comment?!? That's pathetic! All these awesome vaca photos! Nice job bro- I am envious of your travels. I have to admin I haven't but glanced at your additions. I saved'em all up and now I'm agonna view it in toto (That means 'all together' - I heard my boss say it today and I was impressed. I think it's like Spanish or some other language.)
    Also I turned your blog into a .PDF I'll e-mail to yous.
    Safe travels!
    l'il brother Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. A father who introduces his children to sushi is the kindest, most generous father in the world! There's no better food on the planet than sushi!

    ReplyDelete